I don’t even remember how I came across the original post.
I probably googled something like,
- “what does God say about being a mom?” or
- “how to hear the Lord’s truth about who I am” or
- “how to read the bible as a really tired and distracted mom” or
But I was supernaturally led to this post and it was like balm on my heart.
I downloaded a new bible to our Amazon prime account, and I’m able to access it from any one of the four ipads, three iphones or three computers in the entire house. The truth that I’ve been able to read from it so far has been amazing.
But what has really spoke to me is reading about a model on how to pray. I had never heard of it before. It’s beautiful. It just made so much sense.
It’s called ACTS. And it stands for Adoration, Confession, Thanksgiving and Supplication. It was explained awesomely here, and here is my mama take:
- Adoration. Just adoring Him. His amazingness. His love. His forgiveness when I don’t feel like I deserve it. The way He wipes my tears. The acceptance and grace and love that He pours out on me when I am at my ugliest. And it can get ugly.
- Confession. Putting into words the sins and ugly that I recognize in my heart. Saying I’m sorry for the words that I spoke out loud. The times I said curse words in anger. Confessing the times that I screamed, “shut. up.” to the kids silently in my heart. Who does that? I do. I lose it. And I want to confess the sorry that I feel for even thinking some of the stuff that I do. And probably most importantly, I want to ask Him to show me the sins that I don’t even recognize. I don’t want so much as a screen door barrier in-between Him and I. Just get all that mess out Lord.
- Thanksgiving. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Thank you for our home. For dishes to serve our food on. For the food. For a washer and dryer. For good smelling detergent to wash the clothes with. For the toothpaste the kids decorate the bathroom with. For my health. For the kids’ health. For their ability to speak, and jump, and be loud. Thank you for the desire, grace and love of homeschooling. Thank you for my husband and the ten years of fights, hugs, laughter, tears and growth together.
- Supplication. Very specific requests. Lord, give me a heart for my step girls that’s as strong as a biological bond. Lord, help me to think of ways to inspire the kids and not use their ipads and the television as a pacifier. Lord, give me actual tangible desire to want to cook and be in the kitchen. Lord, you know we want to live by the beach. Help us get there! And could it be soon? Like within a year?
So that’s that.
We elves try to stick to the four main food groups: candy, candy canes, candy corns and syrup.
Buddy the Elf
some personal goals: 1 // become a personal goal maker, including writing to do lists 2 // start a new blog + write often 3 // share my love of photography, without profit 4 // grow my love of handwriting by practicing everyday
i could have gone with greek yogurt, but i felt like melted peanut butter laced with chocolate chips is better for the environment.
late Thanksgiving Day evening, after all the feasting + festivities were over, i must have said to Jason ten times, "I can't believe how wonderful my insides feel." | i've posted a few gluten free recipes. | link in profile.