I bought a table and chairs set off of craigslist with the intention of refinishing the top and selling the chairs. The top wasn’t what I thought it was, but it was too late and I did really love the legs.
So I ripped off the top and made it my new garage work table. I think it will do just fine set on top of two sawhorses and slopped with paint. And here is how you can turn your current table or a craigslist find into something you’ll love for years:
1. Rip off the top down to the legs and aprons
2. Install cross braces
3. Determine how long and wide you’d like your tabletop and purchase your planks. I used 4 2X10s. There were $7.72 a piece and Jason helped me cut them down to 79″.
5. Yep, pickle. I wanted the planks to have an aged look to them so I googled and found an old time method of pickling wood with steel wool and vinegar. You put a piece of steel wool in a jar and cover it with vinegar and let it sit for a few days. Then you just brush it on. So that’s what I did. And the results are AMAZING! Try it. You’ll be hooked.
6. Poly with water-based acrylic. 4 coats.
7. Attach planks to the cross braces from underneath
There isn’t a drop of wood stain on the wood. It’s just the vinegar and steel wool recipe applied with a brush. At first when you brush it on it’s as if you’re painting on water. Within an hour, there’s a chemical reaction that causes the wood to look beautifully aged. I’d like to pickle the entire house.